Have you ever been in the mood for some delicious pizza but don’t want to go through the work of making traditional pizza dough? Well, if you’ve got some French bread dough lying around you can use it to make a delicious pizza too!
In this article, we’ll cover how you can use French bread dough for pizza and the tips and tricks to make it perfect every single time.
What is French Bread and Pizza?
French bread is a type of long, thin, buttery bread that is typically made from white flour and is widely popular in many parts of Europe. Pizza, on the other hand, is a type of flatbread that is topped with tomato sauce, cheese, and other ingredients such as vegetables, meat, and seafood.
Can You Use French Bread Dough for Pizza?
The short answer is yes, you can use French bread dough for pizza. It is actually a popular and tasty alternative to traditional pizza dough.
It does have some advantages and disadvantages, however, so let’s take a look at those so you can make the best choice for your pizza night.
Advantages of Using French Bread Dough for Pizza
- Easier to Make than Traditional Pizza Dough – French bread dough is much easier to work with than traditional pizza dough. It doesn’t require kneading or rising, so all you have to do is roll it out and you’re ready to go!
- Can Create Unique Flavors – The flavor of French bread dough adds a unique flavor to the pizza that you can’t get with traditional pizza dough. It has a more airy texture and a buttery taste that adds an extra layer of deliciousness to your pizza.
- Can Result in a Crispier Crust – French bread dough is thinner than traditional pizza dough and so it crisp up more in the oven which can be a real treat.
Disadvantages of Using French Bread Dough for Pizza
- Higher Risk of Burning – Due to the thinner texture of French bread dough, it’s more likely to burn if it’s left in the oven too long. It’s important to keep an eye on it while it’s baking.
- Unusual Texture – The texture of French bread pizza can be quite different from traditional pizza. It can be a bit airy and more doughy than traditional pizza.
- Difficulty in Rolling Out the Dough – French bread dough is quite delicate and can be difficult to roll out. It’s important to use a rolling pin and be gentle when rolling it out.
Steps to Take When Making Pizza with French Bread Dough
Pre-bake the French Bread Dough Before Topping It with Sauce and Cheese – Pre-baking the French bread dough will help ensure that it’s cooked through and prevents it from becoming soggy from the toppings.
Be Generous with Toppings to Counteract the Thinner Crust – French bread dough is much thinner than traditional pizza dough, so it’s important to be generous with your toppings to counteract the thinness and add more flavor.
Keep an Eye on the Oven to Avoid Burning the Crust – Due to the thinness of the French bread dough, it’s important to keep an eye on it while it’s baking. This will help to ensure that it doesn’t get too dark or burn.
Tips for Making Pizza with French Bread Dough
Choose a Flavorful Cheese Blend to Enhance the Flavor of the Crust – Adding a blend of different cheeses not only adds flavor to the pizza, but also helps to keep the crust from becoming soggy.
Add Additional Herbs or Spices into Your Sauce for Added Flavor – Adding herbs and spices to your pizza sauce can add an extra layer of flavor to your pizza and help to keep the French bread dough from becoming too bland.
Use a Thin Layer of Oil on the Pan Before Baking to Help Crisp Up The Crust– Adding a thin layer of oil to the pan before baking can help to crisp up the French bread dough, giving it a more authentic pizza-like texture.
Making pizza with French bread dough can be a great way to save time and add a unique twist to your pizza night. While it does have some advantages and disadvantages, with the right tips and tricks you can make a delicious pizza that’s sure to be a hit.
So don’t be afraid to give French bread dough a try the next time you’re in the mood for pizza!